Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Accountability


This word, accountability, has been crashing its way into my life, repeatedly, this past while. As I grow older, I am continually becoming more aware of how weak and fallible I am.

I understand discipline
, and I understand consistency, but I haven't figured out how to marry the two in my daily/weekly/monthly/yearly behavior. I continually disappoint myself as my well-intended and hopeful life-changes come crashing down.



If you don't know me, I have an obsessive personality. I become very passionate about things for a short while and then that passion fizzles away to minor intrigue or residual interest (hello, blogging). When I was younger, this applied to many social connections as well. I wasn't proud of that. Now, I feel like my current obsessive tendencies apply to things, ideas, and activities....not people. At least I'm just hurting myself and not others. That's a start, right?

I want to try and emulate my perfect wife. She actually gets the idea of moderation and consistency. It's crazy. How do I glean from her that which will make me skinny, rich, and successful? How? How about starting the journey in a slow, moderate way. This is very hard for me. When I want to accomplish something, it must be done, now, or soon, with a deadline.

How does one moderately start being more moderate?



This is how I will start. When I know that I have to answer to someone other than myself, it's easier for me to make good choices...moderate choices...and to be honest with the progress and the outcome.

I can never rely on myself.

Having recently had a very serious talk with a friend in need of support, I became their "person" to which they will be accountable. It's easier to be on this side, but also motivating. I want a "person" to report to.

Not me....and not close

I want to lose weight, so I can fulfill my type in my current industry, be successful, earn more money, feel secure, and ultimately feel like I'm making strides forward in my life. It all comes down to making a thousand small, and good choices. In the past, I would do a crash diet, master cleanse, navy-seal workout, or anything that would give me results....FAST! Now, in my pursuit of moderation, I'm simply keeping a journal. I know what I should be doing. So I'm writing down everything I AM doing, and letting my wife read it. I journal my frustrations, temptations, successes, and remedies for improved and new choices. It's slow, thoughtful, and moderate. YIKES! I'm on day 3. I'll report back


Not me, either...but close

I want to stop biting my nails. I have done this since I was a child. As did my father. I have finger nubs, not nails. And guess what....my daughter bites her nails too...at 5 yrs. old. Genetics, anyone? She's been doing it since she was 2. So I gave her a manicure on Sunday night and had an accountability talk with her...since it's been on my mind. We will now be reporting to each other everyday on how we are doing. And guess what, I found it's really hard to disappoint an inquisitive 5 yrs. old girl. So I've been 3 days without biting. I'll report back.

I'm learning that the most important thing about being moderate and accountable, is that if you fall backward, you now have an opportunity to move forward again. When I used to fall from my obsessive and extreme plans, I would beat myself up, feel like a poop-bag, and not feel motivated to move forward again for quite a while.



I moderately say, "Thank you" for being my listening therapist. I will be accountable to you for my extreme plan of non-extremeness.

Check in on me. I need it.

9 comments:

Elneeta said...

Hey Matt! Stumbled on to your blog a while ago and am finally getting around to commenting. What a great new beginning for you! If you are in to reading I would suggest 2 books for you that might help with your new goals. The first is "The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson. I think you can only get this one online... short read, but I think it will help, especially with those of us who need INSTANT results... NOW! The other is "The Success Principles" by Jack Canfield (the Chicken Soup for the Soul guy). Much bigger book, but also a great way to figure out your goals and how to accomplish them. You are on the path to success... Keep truckin'!

Erin said...

Wow, I feel like I'm reading Erin's book of life - with some alterations, of course. Bless you for getting on this path of success. You're great, Matt! Good luck!

Heather Anna said...

I am not perfectly moderate in every way . . .but thanks for making me feel good. You can do it. I can't wait to read your journal. :-)

Kelly Jo said...

Oh Matthew, I see this in my life either in myself or Kevin. We were just talking about it this morning. The question I asked is "why is it so hard to do the 'good' things consistently when we ALREADY know the good fruits that come from them?!" The "good" things for me are exercising, personal prayer and scripture study (got the family part down, but forget about the whole personal part) going to bed earlier than I do, etc. Then Kevin said "the natural man is an enemy to God." stupid natural man!
So, good luck to you and to all of us as we try to CONSISTENTLY do the "good" things in our lives!

Heather Anna said...

It's so true Kelly. Just last Sunday I was thinking . . .what the heck, how come I can be committed to some things and let other important things slide. I recommitted to personal scripture reading, I've made it three days in a row now. I agree too, I already know the good fruits will come, why wouldn't I want that? stupid natural man, amen!

Three and Counting said...

Matt- I started a get fit blog and that is the theme of it! We challenge eachother with small and simple things and we are all getting fitter! WE are on week 2. Then we contribute to it, sharing our successes or failures, hopes, dreams fears etc. while holding ourselves and each other accountable. If you would be interested in looking at it let em know.

Karen Liu said...

It's extremely hard to be non-extreme...for those of us who are extremists, anyway. I feel your pain and hope for your success!

Barty Family said...

Hey Matt! It's been a while, but I just started reading your blog. I love your writing. I do have to agree with you about your wife. I think Heather is pretty amazing too. I also wish I didn't obsess about non-important things either. Especially when my baby or husband make a mess of things when I just cleaned. Does it really matter in the long run?

Nathan said...

Ok so yeah yeah yeah
Good job Matt--you are making a big step by choosing to be moderate and accountable, but come on:

I'll ask the real question everyone wants to ask:

Who was the friend who needs to report to you and what are they doing that they are so desperately in need of reporting to you?

come on, tell us!

(seriously, I am glad you posted this, because I need to be accountable too... and also, your nails are gross. I LOVE YOU!)