Friday, December 07, 2007


As Long As We Have Hands to Hold

Bah-who doray, bah-who doray, welcome Christmas, Christmas cheer.
Bah-who doray, bah-who boray, welcome, welcome Christmas here.

Or something like that. I tried to find the lyrics online, but it turns out I'm not patient enough to really use the internet to its full capacity. So I'm just guessing at the lyrics. 

Before our Thanksgiving out of town we received free tickets to see the Broadway version of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Matt couldn't join us, but Mags and I went with our friends the Ortons and the Boyles. I can't say the musical lacked heart, so much as it over-killed a good thing. But the kids loved it and in fear of being a Grinch or a Scrooge (prior to both of their amazing character changes), I shan't continue to criticize the free holiday show that did leave me humming, "Bah-who doray." Especially because one of the lines that really stuck with me from that song is, "as long as we have hands to hold." 


I can't remember exactly where it fits into the song, but it keeps bringing tears to my eyes. Yes I am a naturally emotional person; yes my emotions are heightened by the pregnancy hormones; but mostly THAT IS SO TRUE! 

When the Grinch and his dog Max are up there on Mt. Crumpet waiting to hear the boo-hoos down in Who-ville, instead they hear singing. May the loved ones whose hands you have to hold cause you to sing a Christmas song of love and gratitude, no matter the quantity or lack of presents and bows.

2 comments:

martha corinna said...

Oh Heather, this is so good and true. I, when I have enough time, am planning on writing a post about the best Christmas present I've received. It was last year, right after I had Abram. I received so much love from those around me. It made all the difference in the world and I am a changed woman. I'll save the rest for the post. But the hands that held mine were such a gift.
Anyway, loved your comment. Made me want to cry.

Nathan said...

You know something else that's great about "holding hands"--its a great gift to give someone else--And when we love and serve and "hold hands" of others in need we are also giving ourselves a great gift too--