Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Anomaly


As Spring approaches and the weather turns brighter, many people get the jogging 'bug' or 'fever'. They lace up the running shoes and hit the trails. They set goals of weight loss, distance, or time. They dream of finally running that 10K, triathlon, or marathon come summer/fall.

Last summer/fall, when I was training for my marathon, I was told that once I complete my first marathon, I would have the 'bug' to run more. I followed the rigorous training program, which should have established healthy, desirable habits. I completed the race faster than I anticipated and enjoyed the race experience. But guess what, it's been 5 months since I ran my marathon, and I am still 'bug' free. I have absolutely no desire to run another race, or even jog for enjoyment.

Mile 25

I don't like running. I abhor the training. I hate the way you have to schedule your life around your mileage. And, to top it off, I GAINED about 25 lbs. You're supposed to get skinny when you run 20-30 miles a week.

The "run a marathon" box on my life-list has been checked, and I'm moving on. I will probably run a few miles here and there for health reasons, but never again will I train for a big race.

Am I alone in my apathy? Am I a bad person for feeling this way? Am I the marathon running anomaly? Please let me know that it's ok to hate something that you shouldn't.


10 comments:

Kelly Jo said...

I HATE, HATE, HATE running! I've never run a race and have felt terribly guilty for not being a runner. I'm trying practice acceptance and find another form of exercise that I can get the "fever" or "bug" about. So no Matthew, do not feel guilty in fact Christine says "just say no to running." Swimming is her recommendation for exercise of choice and she is an exercise physiologist!

WhiteEyebrows said...

why would anyone consider running fun? I don't understand it either.

martha corinna said...

Yes, you are a bad person Heather!
You know it's not true.
I love to run but I haven't been able to for years and that's just the way it goes for right now, but I do understand. I have 3 friends in my ward who are the best girls, they trained and prepared for the marathon and then after they ran it, they all told me they never had the desire to run again. I don't know, running is not the only thing to do, and people are just different. I love water, but I hate to swim, it hurts.
I wouldn't worry about it, you look great and seem to be successful at whatever you choose to do.

Victor said...

I can't even motivate myself for something like a half-marathon. I think that running is brutal on your body and that there are better ways to get your cardio. You're normal in my book

Mrs. Misses said...

I think ABHOR is not a strong enough word. I can't believe you even finished one marathon. Good for you and be done with it. Never do it again so that I don't have to feel guilty that I never will do that in my life. And I'm perfectly fine with NO RUNNING. You only did it because you're in New York and everyone's doing it. Another way to pretend that you're cooler than everyone else who doesn't live in New York. Enough with the trends, MATTHEW!

PS, You don't look so horrible in the picture, "Heather!" HAHA.

Karen Liu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Liu said...

I'm sure the 25 lb. gain was pure muscle...

Herrick said...

Thank you for all of your supportive words.

Karen, you're wrong, it was FAT! And I was eating well.

Herrick said...

Allison,
I don't have to pretend, I just am. Deal with it.
Just kidding. You're right. My whole life a show.

Daina Bitters said...

"We must perform!" Isn't that what the marathon was all about--a show! You did it! Ta Da! You didn't like it, so find another show you DO like.