Tuesday, March 04, 2008

HIGHLIGHT

My daughter, Margaret, loves to talk. She loves to pontificate on the details of every event in her life. She pretty much does the same things every day - morning shows, pre-school, play ground, meals, and bedtime.

Since I don't see my kids all day long, when I get home, I try my best to take time and ask them how their day went.

From Cole, I usually get a very LOUD and fast couple sentences that have something to do with dinosaurs, horsies, or trucks. He delivers it with such breathless urgency that it sounds like he just finished a world-record 100 meter dash.













From Margaret, I get a minute by minute, friend by friend, activity by activity account of the entire day. With her commentary added in, it can take quite a while to get it out.

Recently, I tried to put a healthy 'boundary' on her description of the day. I asked her to share the HIGHLIGHT of her day. She didn't quite get what I meant. I defined, and she delivered.....after much thought. She likes boundaries, and I like brevity(although I don't use it). It's a win-win.

Since then, her favorite word is HIGHLIGHT. "Daddy, you're home.....what was the HIGHTLIGHT of your day?", or "well....I played at Petra's house for a while, and the HIGHLIGHT was when....". It's quite amusing to watch her little head realize she is using a grown-up word, and see her filled with pride as she emphasizes her new found vocabulary.

Last night, I came home around 10 pm, and had not seen the kids all day. Mom and the kids were asleep. I peeked my head in the kids' room, and to my surprise, Margaret was awake, quietly singing along with Maria on "I Have Confidence". She was thrilled that I discovered her. After a very busy week, I felt she needed some 'daddy' time. I asked her if she wanted to get out of bed and talk for a minute. So even though it was way past her bed time(she's is a night owl, just like dad), we went out to the front room and had a little catch-up.

I asked her how her day went(with healthy boundaries). Her HIGHLIGHT was movie-night with Mom and Cole. Specifically, watching the family Robinson throw coconut bombs at those pesky pirates. And what would you guess, the first question for me out of her mouth was, "what was the HIGHLIGHT of your day, Daddy"?

I sat there for a moment, with Margaret on my lap, deeply thinking about what I could share. I then had a sudden rush of sadness and disappointment knowing that I did not have a HIGHLIGHT that day. Not knowing what to say, I told her that my HIGHLIGHT was talking to her right then. Because it was.

She gave me a big hug/little hug and big kiss/little kiss(the routine she created when she was two). That moment ended up being the HIGHLIGHT of my week.

I guess we all have days, every now and then, void of a HIGHLIGHT. But Margaret always has a HIGHLIGHT. She can always find a moment of wonder or excitement, even in her own monotonous schedule of morning shows, pre-school, play grounds, meals and bedtime.

I am always learning so much from her goodness and wisdom. I am going to try to have HIGHLIGHT- filled days, every day. Even if the one HIGHLIGHT is a simple conversation with someone I love.

Share a recent HIGHLIGHT you've had.


14 comments:

Erin said...

That little Margaret is incredibly sweet! I also have a hard time finding my 'highlights' of the day, week, etc. But from now on, every time I see the highlighter in my desk drawer, I'm going to remember that every day can have a highlight - even when I don't feel like there necessarily is one. Gracias for sharing!

Heather Anna said...

My highlight was when Cole was taking his nap and I had Stella on the bed next to me. She was wide awake and actually staring at me with her grey/blue eyes and lifted eyebrows, a look of newborn wonder.

Newborns don't make eye contact right away, so it was a moment of feeling like, "Hey little chicka that I've been hanging out with night and day, you're starting to recognize me." That made me feel good, and by the way "good" is trivializing it. Then I sang her some songs and read People magazine out loud--so she wouldn't get bored and I could gather all the post-Oscar scoop without neglecting ms. Stella in her wakeful hours.

That was my highlight. :-)

Heather Anna said...

Then my next highlight was when Matt and I went to see Juno at the ghetto fabulous theater up in our hood. I just strapped Stella into the babyBjorn and UNCLE Nate came to hang with Mags and Cole and my hubby took me on a date.

Juno is a good movie! Good is trivializing it, by the way. It's not your little baby is staring at you for the first time good, but it's a good movie like, your favorite treat brought home as a surprise or running into a friend unexpectedly when you've been having a bad day and they just decide to come and hang out with you. That kind of good. You should see it, people out there of the blog world.

bitters said...

We saw Juno and we really liked it. Michael Cera is fantastic as is Ellen Page. Jennifer Garner did terrific.

My highlight today is sending off a postcard to Zoƫ and Milo. I'm in Denmark for a month long residency and I miss my kids terribly. It was a comfort to send them a postcard to let them know I love them since they both dislike talking on the phone.

Kelly Jo said...

I echo your thoughts on Juno, wonderful. Let's see, my highlight so far today was when Kevin was leaving this morning, we said our usual good-byes and I headed to the bathroom and he said "hey!" and I turned around and he said "I really do love you Kelly." That's been my highlight so far. . . .

Tamara said...

My highlight everyday is when Doug wakes me up about ten minutes before he gets out of bed so that we can cuddle before the day begins.

WhiteEyebrows said...

the highlight of my day today was reading this post.

Daina Bitters said...

I've had lots of highlights today--a couple of phone calls from Shawn, a helpful friend staying with the kids so I could go to the gym for a break, and snuggling with Milo during naptime, and hearing growing Zoe say "GReat" instead of "Gweat!"

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Does 'Highlights' magazine, count?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Okay, I've seen your blog a couple times on the Blog Segullah Feed Sampler. I wanted to comment on how cute baby Stella was, but I wasn't sure how you felt about random strangers remarking on the adorableness of your kid so I went instead for the R&B music correction comment.

My favorite highlight is the line by late comedian Mitch Hedberg:"I had my hair highlighted yesterday. I told them to only highlight the most important strands."

Victor said...

Reading this blog was one of the highlights of my day. The other was having a very brief dinner date with Nat down at the Chipotle on Times Square. We had just enough time to swap stories and laugh like we were on a first date. I would list a few other highlights (today was an exceptional day), but I fear you'd apply your boundaries technique to me, too.

Theatre East said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Thank you for reminding me...us of all our wonderful highlights.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.