Friday, February 29, 2008

Shifting Gears


Stella is three and a half weeks old now. More than one person has asked me if it has gone by fast. The answer to that is, no. When days and nights blend together with only brief periods of sporadic sleep to separate them, time does not fly. That is not to say I haven't enjoyed her very much. There's nothing much sweeter than holding a warm cuddly newborn up against your shoulder and breathing in the pheromones, or love hormones as I like to call them. I think these love hormones spread over to Matt as well when I'm nursing in bed in the middle of the night. He seems like the perfect husband and father during that time.

My question is, how come they don't seem to extend to my other two kids? I love them dearly, now don't get me wrong. But these hormones afford me oodles of patience as I am bouncing a fussy baby alone in the middle of the night. So why is that patience instantly tried the moment Cole climbs onto my lap to kiss the baby while I'm nursing? Is it the split personality phenomenon? The way that my relatively agreeable, obedient two-and-a-half year old has suddenly turned into the most contrary child on the planet. His automatic response to every request or directive is, "No!" or "I don't want to!" I've had to come up with things he wants to do even less than what I've asked him to do, so he'll choose my original request just to spite me (pretty ingenius, no?). I knew a change was coming, but I forgot how taxing it can be on a sleep-deprived mama. Margaret, who was referred to as PMG (Perfect Margaret Gayle) by our brothers and sisters when she was a baby and toddler became a different person when we brought Cole home from the hospital. We named her alter ego, Margarita, the evil twin. It passed, as I'm sure Cole's mood swings will. So I just have to keep reminding myself of that.


At least, or I could say at most Cole and Margaret LOOOOVE baby Stella and want to kiss her, hold her, entertain her every chance they get. All disobedience and moodiness has been turned to me, and thankfully I am mature enough to handle it . . .if the love hormones are lingering.We will find our new groove. Right?


Speaking of love, Matt and I celebrated our 7th Anniversary last Saturday. I'm surprised he hasn't posted about it. Too wrapped up with his reality TV I suppose ;-). However, he did not disappoint. He made reservations at a beautiful little restaurant called New Leaf Cafe in Fort Tryon Park near our house. Grandma Margaret was still here, so we had a built in babysitter and enjoyed a night out. I did my hair and put on make-up for the first time in a couple of weeks and even squeezed into a pair of nylons (gag, but they do hold in the extra baby squish that's hanging around my middle, so that's a good thing). We ordered appetizers (calamari with mint coolie, lump crab cake), dinner (sirlion tip/short ribs in a rich stout sauce, duck in a blood orange sauce), and dessert (chocolate tart with homemade Tahitian vanilla ice cream and apple upside down tart with homemade caramel ice cream. Everything was presented beautifully and oh so tasty.)

Here we are presenting skinny faces, although admittedly at this point in our marriage we're both feeling just a tad bit "fat".



And here we are in front of the lovely New Leaf Cafe.


And in honor of our 7th anniversary may I present:

Seven Reasons I don't have the "Itch"
(Be cautioned, you may feel jealous after reading this!)

1. Matt makes occasions special (a random sampling: homemade spa night for Valentine's Day, redecorating while we're away in Utah so that the place is beautiful when we come home, daddy/daughter or son dates on Saturday)

2. He makes a mean chocolate mousse.

3. He calls on his way home from the train to see if I need him to stop and get anything at the store (he's willing to get anything I need, like a bag of peanut m & m's if it's been one of those days or simply a gallon of milk).

4. He puts me to bed and then keeps Stella in the other room and cuddles her so I can get at least a couple of good hours of sleep every night.

5. He works hard to make time for our family, making sure to fit in FHE, even if it can't be Monday, and planning another night home every week to be here so we can do the laundry (and lately it has really been so HE can do the laundry, not WE).

6. Throughout the year he keeps a list of ideas for Christmas gifts and gives me the best surprises. Something I may have mentioned wanting or needing in September shows up under the Christmas tree. It's not that I need gifts, but this is an example of how incredibly thoughtful he is.

7. I'm making Matt sound perfect, but he's not. And that's the seventh reason I don't have the itch. He just tries hard, and we work hard together to make our family life one that brings us joy and peace. We enjoy life together and help each other learn from what's happening. Life is good, it's fun and I have a partner who is patient when challenges come up, but also who celebrates with me when things are going great.

I love you Matt! Happy Anniversary!


16 comments:

Tamara said...

Heather, you look amazing and your dinner sounds wonderful.

martha corinna said...

Stella is a beauty and I'm with you on newborns. I love them, but it's a trying time.
Your anniversary dinner sounds delicious, so perfect, and you do look great!
I love that last part of why you don't have the itch. Imperfections are why we get married, right? Marriage is so that we can work together to hopefully, someday, be close to perfect. I love the idea of working together. Great post Heather, and Happy Anniversary you two!

Kelly Jo said...

The baby is beautiful. You are beautiful and do not look like you just gave birth 3.5 wks ago!!

Happy Anniversary! I still remember your wedding, it really doesn't seem like 7 yrs ago. . .wow!!

merathon said...

that was a really sweet post. i loved reading it! i think you look FABULOUS-- stella isn't even a month old yet!

i'm coming up to NYC in may to see my sister Marliese and my in-laws. would love to see you if you have time!

Am'n2Deep said...

You all look beautiful! I love reading this jealous evoking stuff--isn't love great? Happy Anniversary!

Victor said...

Matt's making the rest of us look pretty bad here. You mind taking this post down before too many of our wives see it?

Only joking. But mad props to Matt. He's one stellar husband and dad.

Krazy Khania said...

You guys look beautiful! Happy A! Isaac and I are coming up on 7 this summer and you gave me some food for thought!

CLARK JOHNSEN said...

this is an AWESOME post.. and I love your hair long. Guess what as of April 1st I am going to be literally living around the corner from you! Can I be your kids newest fake uncle?

Nathan said...

Yep.
Matt is the best husband/dad ever...
It also helps that you're the best mom/wife ever...
makes the best/husband part easier...
love you.

Heather Anna said...

Thanks for saying I'm beautiful peeps! And you're right Nate, I am pretty great, right? ;-)

Merathon, we'd love to see you when you're here. I'm sure we'll have time, so give us the details.

Clark, I would love to have a new fake uncle! It does include babysitting though . . .which is a treat for you, really! Welcome back to the neighborhood.

Herrick said...

Boy, I'm blushing a bit. But NTW, you're right. HAH really is the best wife in the world. That's why I feel privileged to support her.

Can you believe 7 years?

BTW, I don't feel the itch either.

Herrick said...

Uncle Clark,
I am so excited you will be near us. I like to surround myself , and my kids with people that inspire greatness, and goodness...and are really funny. You are definitely all that, and more.
Don't worry, babysitting is not a requirement for "uncleship". But, we will always accept.
I've decided on Mandarin. And I've made a goal to SYL in the home with the kids. I glad we will have another speaker. Hooray!

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I remember that cold day in February at the Provo temple very well.

And look, three gorgeous children later!

Daina Bitters said...

Congratulations on 7! And thanks for posting more pictures of Stella! She's a beauty!

Patricia Hodge said...

I am so excited to find a link to your blog on Janine's blog. I don't know if you remember us from Austin or not. I have enjoyed catching up with your family. Congrats on your sweet Stella. I look forward to reading more.

Patricia Hodge

birdchaser said...

Hey congrats you two. Here's to 70 times 7 more!