Thursday, February 28, 2008

BAGONG WIKA NA !!!

For some reason, I have recently been overwhelmed with a desire to learn another language(s). I can't explain it. I feel I need to. And I want to.

Does anyone else feel this way? Is this a phase?



At this point, I consider myself bi-lingual. English being my first language of proficiency, and TAGALOG(Filipino) being my second. Tagalog is to Filipino as Elizabethan English is to contemporary American English. I speak and understand both.

I learned Tagalog about 12 yrs. ago when I lived in the Philippines for two years, and subsequently taught it, translated it, and continue to speak it whenever I can. In a practical sense, it's a useless language for a white, American, English speaker to know. But even so, it enriches my life. And it instantly creates a kinship with any Filipino I meet. And when we delivered our last baby, Heather got a private recovery room with a window overlooking the Hudson for FREE because I chatted up the Filipina nursing staff. It finally paid off!


I want to start right away.
My goal is to be somewhat conversational by the end of the year.

WHAT LANGUAGE SHOULD I LEARN?

I know that SPANISH would be the obvious choice, since I live in a country with a quickly growing Latino population. That would be the most "practical" choice, domestically. But to be honest, I have always had an aversion to Spanish. Don't hate me. But I have no desire to learn it. I never have. Maybe that's why I was sent, as a missionary, to the most obscure country with one of the most difficult languages possible....as punishment for my snobbery.


My gut tells me to learn CHINESE. As China is strengthening it's influence throughout the world, I feel it will be important to be able to communicate well with 20% of the world that speaks Mandarin. I want my kids to learn it. Even though they are growing up in a 80% Dominican, Spanish speaking neighborhood. And, I have been a closeted CHINO-PHILE ever since I saw The Last Emporer as a child.


I studied FRENCH for two years in high school, and all I can remember is how to count to ten , say "I am a garcon that likes fromage", and "sleep with me tonight"(not from school). Pathetic. At one time, French was a powerful language second only to English. I think it's importance in the world is dwindling. AND, my wife speaks French(well....Quebecois).


Maybe ARABIC. After all, if that dead-beat, McCain, gets in the white-house, we will be occupying Arabic nations for the next 100 years.


Lastly, maybe I should learn DUTCH as a tribute to my heritage. My father's ancestry is almost 400 yrs. American, and his mother was Dutch. My mothers ancestry is English and French.



I need your opinion. And, what are some good independent methods of learning, that you know of? I hear Rosetta is good. Any others?

Help me get my fix, before my desire dwindles away.


10 comments:

Macy said...

I vote for Chinese. If you learned Tagolog, you can easily learn that. And Rosetta Stone would probably be the best way. Unless you want to watch the new show on Nickelodeon that teaches kids Mandarin. :) G-Man and I learned how to say red, green, grandpa, hello, thank you and good bye today.

merathon said...

another vote for Chinese here. you're right-- it's the wave of the future!

Erin said...

Spanish would definitely help you - especially where you live, however, since you've got an aversion to it I think Chinese would be fabulous! I know some, so we could talk every now and then. Hen hao!

Anonymous said...

Depends how practical you want to be. . .

My (biased) vote: Russian :) you'd have good friends that speak it, and there are a few Russian enclaves left

Or Spanish because it's all around you-- but that's so boring.

Chinese would be fun.

CLARK JOHNSEN said...

Just get the first 10 pimsleur lessons of each language.. I can totally give them to you.. and do them all (should take about 1 -2 weeks each) and then decide which one you want to go further with. I have dabbled in every language that you are suggesting and they are ALL SO FUN. I think spanish would be the easiest for you, although surprisingly chinese is pretty easy to speak if you are musical, which you are. It is IMPOSSIBLE to learn the writing so its not even worth trying. There are over 10,000 characters.. so its like whatever. Anyway, we can discuss it more in Denver. THANK YOU THANK YOU for the wonderful response to my recent post. You are really so sweet to say such supportive things. I love you!

WhiteEyebrows said...

One time when I had that need, I decided to learn the DVORAK version of the keyboard... you know that alternate keyboard thats designed for typing efficiency. I already type 70wpm, but thought maybe I could up that to 90 or so... no... I never got above 10wpm... back to QWERTY i went...

Am'n2Deep said...

I'm going with the crowd on this one, and voting Chinese--mostly because this seems to be the language that you are most excited about learning. Go for it!!!



(But, don't ask for my help--the only word I know is "Chi".)

Anonymous said...

Matt, Ni hao! Hao jiu bu jian. I vote for Mandarin Chinese. Karen Liu (hamfriedrice.com)

Anonymous said...

wo syang jung wen er gwo yu shr dzwei hau de.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm way, way, way behind on your blog, but I saw this post and just had to comment! I had to comment, because I have the same bug, but I can't think practically at all! I want to learn ICELANDIC! I really don't quite know why; maybe just to be able to say I know it! In that case, I think you should learn Dutch (of the choices you've offered).