Tuesday, February 19, 2008

SNOW DAY!!!

Not really...

I'm posting as a way
of electronically "rain dancing" the snow to me, just as our Native American friends do in times of drought.

It's February, and I am in a snow drought.

I love snow. I love the way it muffles all sound in the morning - like you're in a padded room. I like the usual warmer weather that accompanies it. I like NOT driving in it (that's why it's so great here). I like the crunch of powder under my shoes as I try to re-enact the "Footprints" poem. (no joke, I've done it once, by myself - it's hard). And mostly, I like the way it covers this concrete jungle in a blanket of clean fluffiness. All the dirt, gum stains, oil spots, and dog/human feces disappear into the cold depths of pure, frozen, flakes of white water.


This is a picture of
a stunning February morning in 2006. It was a perfect Sunday morning, as we trudged through two feet of snow to our church five blocks away. My sister's family was visiting us. We had 27" of new snow in a 12 hour period. The most in recorded weather history for NYC - about 300 yrs. Something big interrupted. Everyone slowed down a little in this crazy place, things were a little more quiet, and for about two days, the snow maintained it's whiteness from eventual destruction by a million pedestrian footsteps. It was magic! ....Until Mr. Hankey emerged, once again, and proclaimed ....

"Hidee Ho" ... "You're in New York, sucka!"

9 comments:

Am'n2Deep said...

I'm over here 'sun dancing'. Maybe we could trade spaces for a couple of weeks?

Herrick said...

Where are you? I'll go there. I want to make a snow angel and crave a hot bath after a long day in the snow.

Am'n2Deep said...

Besides, I really need a break from Utah right now.... :S

Am'n2Deep said...

Oh, I missed your comment--so now you know: I'm in Utah--lots of snow this year!

Herrick said...

I need me some mountains and sunsets. Wanna house swap?

Am'n2Deep said...

Sounds fantastic!!

martha corinna said...

I am so over snow this year, and that is saying a lot considering that I am a Minnesotan.
Our totally awesome and exceptionally lazy do has left us a million 'Mr. Hankeys' on our driveway, thanks to all of this snow.

Erin said...

I have always truly loved snow, but I tired of it about a week ago. It is seriously the biggest mess of snow I've seen in years! I do know what you mean about NYC, however. I used to love when it snowed there. I loved seeing concrete blanketed in white. Who knows when the ice over here will melt - maybe into early Summer. It has been crazy! White-outs, people stranded, mass hysteria!

Tamara said...

I remember that storm of Feb. 2006. Doug and I were trying to get out of NY to get to LA to get married but the snow caused it to be harder then normal. Not very nice to do to a bride.