Thursday, February 21, 2008

I've Got the Fever!

I am going to publicly admit my love for...

"America's Next Top Model"


Last night was the "Cycle 10" premiere. Note, Tyra Banks produces a new season about every six months or so. At least it seems like it. 10 yrs. ago, Tyra was still just a successful model. Not media mogul, up-and-coming Oprah Jr.

My mother is staying with us, and subsequently sleeps in our living room. So unless she wore earplugs and averted her eyes, she was cornered into joining me and Heather in our shameful, contest-tv, "I shouldn't be watching this" addiction.

I have to say, I think it's going to be a good cycle this time 'round. This year, there are a lot of girls with a lot of spunk and "no you di'nt" attitutde.

A five-minute sampling of 'tude' highlights and wacky judge antics...

Minute 23: "Shut up, bitch! You're dead in my book!"
Minute 24: [Sobs. Hugs. Sobs. Hugs.] "I could never do nothin' like that. I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry. Wahhh..."
Minute 25: "Bitch, if you touch me, you're gonna die!"
Minute 28: The judges pretend to drink a contestant's breast milk.

In order to increase the drama, the judges are always trying to "therapize" the models by having them release their past abuses, insecurities, and painful childhoods on national tv. I feel it's morally reprehensible, but........extremely entertaining and exploitative.

It usually takes me about 4-5 episodes before I can determine a winner. And I have been right multiple times. But this year, I am going out on a limb and proclaiming America's Next Top Model to be....

FATIMA

Fatima hails from motherland Africa, but has grown up in Boston. Her big breakdown story was the tribal female circumcision performed on her when she was a girl. And I admit, that is one of the worst I've heard. Also, it brings attention to that terrible global issue. Just as Heather, from Cycle 9, brought attention to Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism. But I don't think they will be bringing up her circumcision throughout the season. At least I hope they don't. It would be kind of awkward if they did.

Granted, in all 9 "cycles" of this show, they have never turned out a highly successful and recognizable model. But I believe that one day, Tyra will ultimately discover the next version of herself, Cindi, Naomi, Giselle, Heidi or Kate. And until that day happens, I will be in front of the TV, rooting on all those insecure, emaciated wannabes on their desperate attempt at success for doing nothing but being pretty.

10 comments:

just jen said...

i LOVE this show...

my husband watches with me and always grumbles about it, but by the end of the season he is always as into it as i am. i love tyra...you guys should go to one of her tapings...i had tickets last year but couldn't find a babysitter, and now she's in NY, no fair!

at least i go to go to dr phil once.

martha corinna said...

I haven't seen the show, but maybe I am just unaware of the educational factor and the heightened awareness that it brings.

Mrs. Misses said...

Jen is always talking about this show, but I am sticking to my I Love New York, Celebrity Rehab, LA Ink and Celebrity Apprentice. They all pretty much have the same dialogue, just different fashions. Haha!

Am'n2Deep said...

I've got the fever too---only it's cabin fever. I just may have to take up watching this one to get me through until spring arrives.

And I love it when someone starts out with a public admittance--you just know it's going to be good. :)

Herrick said...

Martha
yes, ANTM may be able to bring awareness and solve most of the world's problems. Who knew skinny, stupid girls could bring about such change

Herrick said...

am'n2deep
you will hate yourself for loving it, but it's totally worth it. And it's not as trashy as most, like Rock of Love, or I Love New York.....sorry mrs. misses.

Heather Anna said...

You know you're really sinking low when you have to justify yourself with phrases like, "It's not as trashy as . . ."
Oh well, I guess I have been outed with Matt too. I better start having him run things by me first, so I can keep some of my deep dark secrets.

Tamara said...

It is okay Heather, I too LOVE this show. Doug rolls his eyes every time that is comes on but I will not stop watching it.

Heather Anna said...

Tamara, we need to get together to watch. What are you doing this week? ;-)

Jenny Donna said...

I can't believe Blondie left the show. I also think designer clothes prices are outrageous, but only because I WANT TO WEAR THEM!!