Saturday, February 02, 2008

Anthroponomastics, anyone...?


In continuation of my last post regarding the naming of our third child, I would like to explore the way names morph into completely different names.

I was given a name that screams for abbreviation - Matthew. I was mostly called Matt growing up. But I also got Matty, when I was young, and Mattress from my dad. Since I was about 19, I made a conscientious decision to be Matthew. The name my parents gave me. I liked it, in the way I like Matthew Broderick or McConaughay or Modine. Save Ferris! So for 12 yrs. I have introduced myself to new people as Matthew, but 90% of them immediately call me Matt, without permission. Interesting, huh? It doesn't bother me much, except that I try to call people by how they introduce themselves.

I call my wife, Heather, by her real name, and sometimes Heth(voiced 'th'), or Heathanna(combo of middle name).

I believe in naming children by what you will officially call them. For example, we named Margaret after my mother, with full intention of calling her Margaret - not Margie, Margot, Peggy, or any other incarnation. Guess what, people automatically call her Maggie. And even her 5-yr.-old self always introduces herself as Margaret. I do sometimes call her Mag-bum, or Mag-pie. And in our home, our son Cole is quite often referred to as Coley-bug.

But what about when a name takes on a life of its own and morphs into something completely different. Examples:

When she was younger, Heather was called:
Heather Anna Banana...then
Anne-Banan-Banoo...then just
Banoo.

Her brother, Shane was called:
Shaney-Mikey-Mook...then just
Mook

My niece, Alexis was/is called:
Lexi...then
Lexi-Lou...then
Lou...then just
Louie (see right)




WHAT ARE SOME MORPHED NAMES YOU POSSESS OR KNOW OF?


By the way, ANTHROPONOMASTICS is the study of proper human names.

10 comments:

Erin said...

Matt & Heather, I'm not sure how I stumbled onto your blog...but it was so fun to see you and your family. I'll keep checking back! Make sure to tell Heather Hello!

Nathan said...

Hmmm....

So here is a really fun one from my family:

(I may have told you guys this story before, and you should be forewarned, it involves some scatological humor)

Okay.

Cathern (my sister)

My mom called her Catalina

Andy for some reason (I think after Cathy had an unfortunate incident on a family road trip involving excrement in her underpants) took to calling her Crunchy Crotchy Cathy....or something like that...

that became Crotchalina

which became Crotchy...

gross...right? And I might have some details a little wrong....

and needless to say we don't use this appellation often and as kids were always chided for addressing Cathern as Crotchy...

peace out...

Kelly Jo said...

I immediately think of Kathy Bonita.

arly said...

Samuel has this problem too. He introduces himself as "Samuel" and most people immediately say, "Nice to meet you, Sam." It bugs me. His mom calls him Samuel. I have never in 10 years called him Sam. Sam, who's Sam?

martha corinna said...

I've always just been Martha.
But I do like proper names, except when it comes to my daughter Lulu. Not that I don't love her name, Lucia Louise. I think it sounds very Catholic and old world and I love it. But right now she just seems to be a Lulu, so that is what we call her.
We don't let anyone shorten Abram's name though. It is Abram, no matter what.

Daina Bitters said...

We have Milo
Mo for short
"The moje" is what we call him.

Also Zoe,
shortened to Zo Zo
When Milo was little(r) he called her "No No"
So sometimes we refer to her as "No No"

Daina Bitters said...

Also I would like to apologize for calling you Matt and calling Margaret Maggie. Can you ever forgive me?

Kiwimommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kiwimommy said...

As you can probably imagine, I've been addressed by nearly every possible version of my name. Funnily enough, it's usually Mormons that get it wrong. Why is that?

Here are a few:
Maria (90% of the time)
Mary
Marie (I don't mind that one...at least half of it's right)
Maria-a-Dell
Mary-Adellay
and my personal favorite: Madella-Ree

I can always a true friend because they call me Marie-Adele, without asking, "Is it the whole thing? Do I have to say the whole thing?" Ummmm, yes. It's the whole thing. Unless I like you - then you can call me M-A.

Great post, btw!!

Unknown said...

Matt-hew, here's one for your record books. My entire life, and even now, my family calls me Sam. I have been Sam for so long that my sister who is 2 years older than me, thought it was my legal name. At the age of 25 I had to show her my driver's license and social security card to prove to her that "Sam" does not occur anywhere in my legal name. There is no one in my family with the name Sam, Samantha, or Samuel.

Ok, so aside from that totally, completely bizarre nickname, how many ways can the simple name "Tajuana" be butchered??? I mean, come on, seriously folks, it's a very simple name and pronounced exactly as it's spelled. Does anyone pronounce "Juanita" --Johnita? Does anyone pronounce "Marijuana" --MariJohna?

Ok, I would say more, but it's 5:30and I'm out the door.