Monday, February 11, 2008

Sweet Breads.....the Yummy Kind

With the arrival of a new baby, comes the arrival of familial assistance, i.e. grandmas. Heather's mother has graciously and selflessly given her life over to our struggles with toddlers and and new infant in this crazy city. She has been an immense help with everything from nighttime feedings, to laundry, to toddler distraction, and to cooking. And she keeps the fridge stocked with Diet Coke. She really is a godsend.
And of course when you have family around, you continually make dietary, "it's a special time", excuses for eating things that are bad for you, but are just so darn tasty. Pizza, chinese, burgers, and most recently, waffles with lots of butter and whipped cream. This yummy Sunday brunch is the impetus for my ramblings today.

What kind of person are you? When given waffles, I will gladly eat them and enjoy them. But I have too many hangups with them to search them out, or to put forth any effort in cooking them myself. Early in the morning, I can't deal with uneven butter spread or pools of cold syrup when I only wanted a drizzle. See what I mean?....hangups.

My name is Matthew Herrick....
and I am a french toast person.


Some people believe that astrology can define what their core personality is all about. Others believe in color spectrums, auras, and other crazy crystal wearing, let the 'universe' speak to me, kind of hoo-ha. I believe that you can determine a person's core nature by their preference of the following three cooked breakfast breads. In no particular order:

Pancakes

French Toast

Waffles

They obviously originate from the same breakfast treat ancestor, and they serve the same purpose - which is, to allow people to unashamedly have dessert for breakfast by coming in a bread form, and being called by a healthier name.

My wife prefers them in a different order than I. She likes Waffles, Pancakes, then French Toast. This is why we have a happy, balanced marriage. I put my breakfast treats in the following order of preference, in eating and preparing:

1. French Toast
-An alteration or life extension of existing materials. A hearty, multi-nutrient (whole-grain,eggs,milk) treat. Additions are usually limited to syrup, powdered sugar, and occasionally, jam or fruit.
This person is resourceful and desires things of substance and quality in their lives. They have the potential of being a little pretentious and tough, but they always try to make lemonade from lemons. Or in this case, delicious, soggy- breaded goodness from stale, unwanted heels, and old bread. They can present themselves with flair to others if they choose, but it is unneeded to impress.

2. Pancakes
- The most versatile of the three. Usually very processed and very unhealthy, due to the common internal addition of items such as: chocolate chips, food coloring, bananas, nuts, or any addition to spice up the flavor of bland, foamy bread. Can also be made into any shape.
This person has a spontaneous nature that is not afraid to splurge and think outside of the box of conventional eating or life choices. They understand that moderation and self-control are not always desired attributes. They are prone to say things like, "live life a little" or "come-on, it's a special day, just one won't hurt ya". They also choose to look different on a frequent basis.....just because.

3. Waffles
- The most predictable, yet treacherous of the three, due to crevices, and variances in thickness and shape. Usually made of the same ingredients, and cooked in the same way. The most common variances occur in the toppings. This is the one most prone to incorporate fruit and cream as part of it's embellishments. They generally are the most attractive of the three.
Just like the waffle, this person is solid, dependable, and predictable. And with a little bit of flair, talent, and personality, they are the favorites of any social class or demographic. Just as the waffle's likability reaches from the frozen-food isles, to expensive restaurants, and even fried chicken platters, this person can adapt to any situation with pleasing acceptance and love. But be cautious, just like the waffle, this person can be hard to handle. You never know what explosion of flavor you'll get with each bite. Also, they always dress to impress.


WHAT'S YOUR PREFERENTIAL ORDER?

P.S. If you like what you read when you come by, please let me know you're there. I want to hear your voice. Even if it's just an "AMEN" or "Go to hell, you big, dumb jerk!" Anything will do. It's keeps me motivated to blog more often. Thanks for indulging my "fishing" for recognition.


16 comments:

Natalie said...

French Toast...Waffles...Pancakes. Yeah, baby. Give me breakfast for dinner anytime!

Unknown said...

Waffle, french toast, pancakes. As a teenager my preference was french toast, waffle, pancake. Is that an indication that I'm finally growing up? :-)

Erin said...

I'm also a french toast person. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. Dangit, now I'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

Hey Matthew! Congrats on gorgeous Stella.

I'm a french toast person myself. After that, I guess some good pancakes and then waffles. . .

Mike, Jess, Elijah, Julia and Amelie said...

I'm super picky about all three. But I think my order is pancakes, French toast, waffles. (Keep in mind, it depends on the quality - or the order could radically change, i.e. pancakes made from Bisquick go to #3). Pancakes must be from scratch. I prefer French toast made from Challah bread (try Zomicks Challah from Fairway - AMAZING - put a little cinnamon and sugar in the egg batter). I agree with the cold syrup bit. That is always such a let down. Syrup must be warmed up too. Makes a big difference to whip the egg whites when your making batter for waffles.

just jen said...

ha...you make me laugh.

i must admit, i have have been lurking and reading your frequent blogging and enjoying it quite a lot!

i am

french toast
pancakes
and then waffles.

i have a problem with the butter thing too.

Caitilin said...

Matt & Heather - congrats on baby Stella! She sure is a beauty! And Heather, you look fabulous! So glad your Mom is there to help out.

Ok, Matt, you hit the nail on the head: french toast is best. However, waffles are good too, only when eaten at Waffle House, a southern delish joint that makes waffles that you only wanna eat plain! Seriously, so good!

xoxo
caitilin, kurt, gavin & ryan

Kelly Jo said...

French Toast
Waffles
Pancakes

When lazy, I have been known to make french toast in a waffle maker, no flipping and syrup resevoirs. . .

WhiteEyebrows said...

I think by extension you can know a lot about a person's personality by how they dress up their breadly breakfast.

I prefer straight syrup. No butter. In the time it takes a person to fully dress up their breakfast with all sorts of sludge, I could have eaten 2 with syrup only. Efficiency, business.

Those people who make waffles like your photo, with layer after layer of delight and eye candy, they can, as you put it, go to hell.

Herrick said...

I'm glad to hear that people get my thinking. It may be silly, but real.

It looks like I'm not crazy after all for being a French Toast person.

Hey WhiteEyebrows, I'm glad you read me. It seems like you know me, but can't figure out for the life of me, who you are. Keep posting.

merathon said...

waffles-- when given the choice, ALWAYS waffles. bread dipped in egg grosses me out and i cannot stand the fluffiness of pancakes. but, i must add that the waffles MUST be whole wheat. this is not because of a health thing (although the dietitian in me definitely likes that part about it) but i am not a fan of the buttermilk flavor. no syrup, but maybe a drizzle of honey OR lots and lots of fresh berries!

love the name stella. my in-laws are moving from austin to manhattan in a couple months, so when i come and visit, i'm giving you guys a call! i wanna see your cute little family!

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I eat pancakes and waffles with absolutely NO butter or syrup. French toast with butter and powdered sugar ONLY.

Anyway, I am here. Now go to hell you dumb bum.

P.S. Oh how I miss you guys.

Herrick said...

Oh, Cjane, you are one courageous woman....you and your big belly, bravely eating bare breakfast breads.

On the brink of blasphemy.

Corrine said...

I'm a waffle, French toast pancake kind a gal! I like French toast will really good sourdough french bread anyway love your blog entries!

b. said...

French Toast. Period.
Congratulations on your new baby!

I found you through cjane and am'n.

Krazy Khania said...

I am totally a pancake lover! Amen to the uneven butter in my waffels. Isaac is a french toast lover. Really I would rather eat any of them than some other dinner choices and that's why every Sunday for dinner we have breakfast!