Friday, February 15, 2008

The Changing of the Gaurd


It's amazing how the beautiful arrival of a baby can cause such an initial disturbance in the lives of the parents; so much so, that they require a third parent until adjustments can be made.....especially in this city.

This is my ode to the self-sacrificing women that have left their safe happy valley for the mean streets of the big apple, just to assist us in what we need while we adjust to having a third.

Margaret Gayle Herrick - age 4 1/2 - was named after these women. She has a lot to live up to.

The first assistant was Heather's mother, Grandma Gayle. She was here from a few days before Stella's birth, until just yesterday. Not only did she help with support as a birthing coach and babysitter on delivery day, she tried her best to maintain a sense of peace and tranquility in our cramped little home so mom Heather could rest and relax with the new one.

You have to understand, we don't have the comforts of suburbia such as, laundry facilities in the home, or a car, or even a space to really be alone in our 110 yr. old apartment.

-40 lbs. of laundry have to be carted, weekly, down stairs and down the block to the expensive corner laundry mat. -Groceries have to be carried or carted back home on the same said laundry cart(no bulk foods or 50-roll toilet paper packs loaded into the SUV).

-Taking our other two toddlers to/from school or playgroups, etc. while doing laundry, and picking up groceries, without anything but a stroller and the subway, is quite a physical/emotional feat.


-And finally, finding quiet solitude in our apartment for mom and the newborn is really impossible unless the other kids are out of the apartment and our neighbors have decided not to BLAST their Reggaetone music into the alley all day and night(because apparently, the whole neighborhood would like to hear this loud monotonous banging in their heads until 2 am).


So, having an extra hand for Heather, while I'm at work, to help do that laundry, and groceries, and child removal to the playground, is a HUGE blessing.

Heather and I have been "alone" without Grandma help for two days. I stayed home from work yesterday so Margaret could go to school, because new-mom Heather really shouldn't be trucking an infant and two kids on a bus ride into the Bronx yet. And the laundry had to be done. I forget how many clothes newborns go through for doing nothing all day. And, even though I'm capable of cooking food for my family, as a special Valentine's treat, Kismat Cafe blessed us with Masala, Curry, and the best seafood Kurma you could ask for (hooray for NYC delivering any kind of food to your door, even McDonalds). But today they are all alone, since I had to go back to work.

Comforting a bruised Cole-noggin
Thankfully, tomorrow is the changing of the Grandma Gaurd with the arrival of Margaret's first namesake. Grandma Margaret, my mom, is taking the red-eye to JFK to save us from ourselves and this big, scary, and inconvenient city (no joke, someone was shot and killed across the street from us the day after Stella was born.....scary....even though, we feel surprisingly safe in our neighborhood...). She will be here for ten days. And by the end of those ten days, we must be ready to return to the rigors and reality of parenthood in the city.....by ourselves. Boo-hoo.

We've done it with two.....why not three? Right?

P.S.... In addition to praising our beloved mothers, this time I am 'fishing' for empathy and support. If you empathize or support our situation........give us a "holla!" , or "what-what"(hands in the air), or even a "girlfren...shoot", as they say in our neck of the hood.



13 comments:

Am'n2Deep said...

Dang! Now that IS work! Having been a country gal my whole life, I wouldn't know the first thing about city living.

Thank heaven for those good grandma's. I must admit, I've been spoiled with having my husband home for two weeks with each new arrival of our three babies. (It's almost worth having one more.) My husband, like you is a great help--truth be told he could probably run a household better than I...

Nathan said...

Holla!!

All true--I know...I live there too, across the street--it's true what these folks do for their family--props to Grandmas Gayle and Margaret!

p.s. someone was shot, like, right on Academy?

b. said...

holl....uh.....I enjoyed the city for about 11 months. After that I was ready for my mountains.
I think you are incredibly brave to live in the city. I think it's a marvelous adventure! I'm givin' you and your adorable family props.

Kiwimommy said...

Girlfren...Shoot! You need to move into our building. Directly across the street from the subway entrance, elevator and laundry in building, 24-hr super - and probably for about the same rent you're paying now. It ain't all bad in Upper Manhattan! Come down to the Heights.

Seriously.

Heather Anna said...

kiwimommy, we may just have to look into that! and nate, it was on Cooper, just outside of Iris' window. Crazy eh? We are stinkin' lucky to have two wonderful moms who just come and spoil us. Seriously! Especially since no one wants to bring us dinner after matt's post. ;-)

Erin said...

Girlfrien...shoot...

I am simply amazed by what you accomplish there as a family - having lived in beloved NY myself as a single girl. Truly amazing.
Thanks to your wonderful mothers!

Much love~

Reagan said...

When I was pregnafied, I ordered my groceries from freshdirect.com and they bring them up the stairs for you. That's the ONE easy thing about living here.

ckj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ckj said...

sendin' love to you guys!!! you're gonna be fine, i know. BUT... if there is anything we do for you in any way... let us know. love you!!

Heather Anna said...

reagan, you're right- freshdirect rocks!

Emma said...

Reading your post brings back so many memories, good and bad. Obviously, I couldn't hack it and we headed for the NJ 'burbs, but I still have such a bittersweet feeling about all I left behind. City mamas such as you really carry an enormous load, literally and figuratively and I don't miss that part of it. But, the people surrounding you (especially all those other urban mommies up in Inwood) are an extraordinary bunch. I don't think I'll ever find such a cool group of women (and men, of course--it's just that I was mostly hanging with the mommies) all in one place ever again.

So, major applause for heather for her strength and sense of adventure and props to Matt for having the skills of observation and empathy to point it out.

WhiteEyebrows said...

Honestly... laundry and grocery shopping are two things I just DON'T KNOW how you do! How does one live without Costco and it's 50 pack of practically everything!?!

Krazy Khania said...

OH! My prayers go out to you guys! Not only is it hard to have 3 children but in NYC in that little place. You and Heather are great parents and very loving and that's what will help you through!