Monday, January 28, 2008

The Casseroles are Comin'!!!

Because our baby will be here any day, Heather and I had a short discussion with a good friend at church regarding the fulfillment of post-natal servitude doled out on new mothers by the sweet sisters of the Relief Society. She wanted to set a date for when "dinners" would start being delivered to our home. Lasagna, Mystery Casseroles, Cheesy "Funeral" Potatotes, etc... It's very sweet and thoughtful, and yes, I know it gives the sisters an opportunity to serve. I probably shouldn't have interjected and shared my opinion on the matter and squelch her giving heart, but I have to admit, I'm a little offended by the whole idea.

Yes, I admit that I am modern, metrosexual, fully-liberated husband and father of 2008. It's not the 1950's, and I wasn't born or raised in an era where I fulfill my fatherly duties from 9-5, come home, and put my feet up while I wait for my lovely wife(in full make-up, and rick-racked dress) to fulfill my every need, and keep the children from bothering me while I watch the game. (BTW, I don't even watch games...how's that for progressive?)
Call me crazy, but I believe in being an equal-partnered parent, nurturing and loving father, homemaker, child-rearer, and yes, a cook. And I'm a good one.....a cook that is.
While my wife and I are dealing with the challenges of a new-born baby, and two small children, I fully believe that I can take care of the gastronomical needs of my family.

I appreciate service, and I don't want to inhibit others from serving, but there must be another way in which the sisters can assist the families going through this difficult transition in the home. I have a sense that the RS feels it must serve, and that food delivery is the "go-to" option. It's seems a bit archaic and "old-church" (like old-school). Service comes in a variety of shapes and colors and is appreciated in all forms. Let's be modern and creative. You could blog for us, or take our kids so we can go on a short date (between feedings), or if it must be food, you could just just order a spread of Indian from Kismat (212-795-8633),

....mmm.....saag paneer....,

or maybe you could simply pay my bills so I can spend even more time with my wife and new little one.........just some thoughts.

Ultimately, this post has been a declaration of my PRIDE. Yes, I am a prideful, modern, dad. And I know the RS sisters don't like pride. So, now that I have admitted my pride, maybe I should just let nice people be nice, in their own way, and keep my nose out of the whole thing.

That's what Heather would want. And it's her time to get whatever she wants!

Bring on the casseroles!

12 comments:

merathon said...

matt-- that was a great post. as i think i said the last time i commented on one of your posts, many men CAN and SHOULD learn from you! i guess MY biggest problem with people bringing me food is that it's usually a heart attack on a plate! how's THAT for welcoming an exhausted new mommy home?

Natalie said...

wow matt. so opinionated. see if i ever bring you a casserole again. i'll probably just order you kismet anyway...afterall, i'm a modern woman.

cathy said...

Do you think you can talk to my relief society about the money idea?(my baby's due in 3 weeks, so you have a little time) I really like that one, and even if they only pitched in 10$ a piece it would still be a good turn-out and oh how true of a service that is!

Erin said...

OH man, I remember that incredible Indian food. So delish!

Heather Anna said...

It's not that I love casseroles or anything, but I think it's a tradition because meal preparation is one of the most monotonous things a family has to do. So not having to think about, plan, shop for and prepare a meal is a nice thing. I hold to that! We've discussed it already I know and we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But I truly believe it's not because they think, "Hey that man is incapable" (though some truly are and I just happen to be the luckiest girl in the world), but it's something someone can do that's unintrusive (okay, maybe that's not a word, but you get the idea) and in the end, really does help.

Amy, Spencer, and Kids said...

LOL! Matt, You are hilarious. You and my husband must be long lost twins. Thank goodness for wonderful husbands like you two. We are truly blessed.
Best of Luck with the new baby Matt and Heather. I wish I lived closer, I could drop you off some killer take-out.
-Amy

martha corinna said...

You are a great husband. Heather is lucky to have such a progressive man.
As the compassionate service person who assigns out the meals and such, I see that most husbands (at least in our neck of the woods) are not like you, too bad. Also, I think the meals are really more than meals. They are about love. Food and preparation show love. And a woman coming over to check on you with food in her hands shows she loves you.
I love all your other ideas of service. The money one is great. Also, taking the kids is great, for those who can take the kids. I consider myself to be a pretty good cook, so I love to bring a new mom a meal, but I have difficulty taking kids for very long of because I have a few too many babies. Too bad you live so far, I would not bring you any casseroles, I would bring you my best.
Matt, I am interested in your meals. Please post your post partum recipes!

Nathan said...

Matt & Heather ( and Mags and Cole and the little Nathana) --as soon as I get back I'm gonna make you guys the NASTIEST casserole you've ever had...
Its gonna be awesome.
Yes, Matt, you are a GREAT husband. And I know, because I'm around A LOT (please note the bleached knees in my grey skinny Levi's)
It's true--you're better than all those traditional husbands--yes.
Now, do you have enough affirmation? Can you stop with these, "I'm the best husband in the world" posts?
J/K (sorta) Love you!

Herrick said...

Listen NTW, I'm always questioning "role" issues in regard to peoples definition of marriage. I just think traditional roles are evil and wrong....that's all. Is that a little strong?

Tamara said...

I agree with Meredith. I love your posts...but ouch! Now I almost regret sending a dinner to you all when Margaret was born...almost.

Herrick said...

Tamara, I love free food, don't get me wrong, it's the whole RS tradition thing that rubs me wrong. To those that were asked to serve by the organization, I am most grateful. Thanks for past dinners!

Heather Anna said...

Tamara, tamara Pittman, how are you? I'm sure your meal was delicious, and Matt would never ever complain about getting your baklava :-). I'll be checking into your blog, so get on it!