Monday, January 28, 2008

My Talking Heads

I never thought I would be a watcher of all things political. I used to quickly change channels whenever I saw a news program that wasn't actually the 6 or 10 o'clock news.

About 5 yrs. ago, I slowly transitioned into the comedic parodies of mainstream news programs, like:

"The Daily Show"
with John Stewart





...and then...






"The Colbert Report".
I even went to a taping.


.....And when I was feeling a little naughty (HBO) and extra 'liberal',
"Real Time with Bill Maher".

I was a regular watcher, but still in control. After a while, I became unfulfilled with the brief coverage and shtick that overshadowed the issues at hand.

......then it all changed......

About a year ago, good friend of mine, we'll call him J.J. for short, sent me a clip of a political pundit giving the most stirring commentary on the travesty that has been, and is, the Bush presidency. I knew I always hated George W., but he confirmed the "truthiness" of my disdain. His words moved me to tears of affirmation, pangs of guilt, and instilled in me a desire to act, and to be more aware and involved. That pundit was Keith Olbermann. And I
.....am a "Countdown" addict (MSNBC 8pm/12am).

I have to get my fix, nightly, or I feel neglectful of the "political machine". I never thought I would become this attached to a former ESPN Sportscaster-turned political talking head. I guess I can't resist his perfectly styled, silver-flecked 'doo' , or his square ("I'm intelligent") glasses. He makes me laugh at all the right moments. And how can you resist a man who, every night, calls out the 3 "Worst People in the World" while underscored by Bach's Cantata in D minor. Brilliant. He's a "guilt friend". You know, one of those friends that you don't hang out with socially, but have to check in with, regularly, or you feel like a bad friend, or person, for that matter.

I thought there was only room for one "Keith" figure in my life, until things started heating up with the presidential primaries. In covering the 'play-by-play' of the elections, my Keith joined forces with another MSNBC pundit, that in my view, was previously only a parody on SNL - Chris Matthews. The two of them make a political cocktail that suck you deep into the pixels of your TV and never let go. Hence I started watching his show nightly as well. The pathetic thing is, they cover the same stories every night, and I still tune into both shows. I guess I just like to hear them twice, with different, catchy, deliveries.

Like all addictions, mine has deeply affected my loved ones. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my wife, Heather, has lost a piece of her regular mode of operandi in life, moderation. She has fallen prey and become consumed with the affable smile and snowy-blond comb over of Chris Matthews. I think she has a secret crush. She keeps on talking about these weird dreams she has been having lately. She blames them on pregnancy, but I think they originate from playing a little too much "Hardball" with a certain, wink-happy, middle-aged man on MSNBC.

I have really enjoyed the fact that she has become obsessed with something. I have always felt alone in that, in our marriage. And it's really fun to be able to discuss one of my obsessions with her. Usually she just kindly listens and rolls her eyes.

Sometimes, I feel guilty about dragging my wife into the deep, dark caverns of the liberal left, and the tempestuous sea of the biased media......but then I remember that sin loves company......and that catchy saying alone justifies my actions, and makes me feel better about my evil ways.

I will save my thoughts, for another post, on my secret crush for Rachel Maddow. Boy is she "handsome". Grrrrrr.

6 comments:

Kelly Jo said...

Kevin sucked me into The Daily Show and Colbert Report. . .I love them!
Matt, what's up with all the posts lately. . . .down time at work?! :)

Heather Anna said...

I wouldn't say I'm addicted, although when I couldn't sleep last night from 1:30-3:30 I did watch Hardball and laugh along with Chris and Keith at the political antics of those Clintons . . .oh you sneaky politicians, declaring victory in Florida, you!

Am'n2Deep said...

Hi! Having been a very conservative gal in the past, I'm finding myself drawn to the "deep dark caverns of the liberal left"--(love that). And guess what I found? I'm more comfortable there. So if that makes me a 'sinner', so be it. Great post!

birdchaser said...

Hey, welcome to the deep dark caverns! Hope to see you guys again sometime. Come to Philly!

Heather Anna said...

Good to see you too birdchaser. We will come to Philly and visit as soon as I get this baby here and she's a bigger. Really . . .the spring should be a nice time right?

Natalie said...

love it. now i feel like i've got to get to know these men.