Thursday, January 24, 2008

I Have a Dream...

Because I had the day off for MLK Day, I decided to make it a real holiday. I first took Margaret on a little date in the morning. We went to our favorite neighborhood diner, Park View Cafe. It's a closet-sized, stools at the bar, breakfast all-day, kind of diner you find all over New York. I let Margaret order whatever she wanted. Of course, chocolate chip and banana pancakes, with bacon on the side, was the obvious choice. Oh, and hot-chocolate with whipped cream. Wait, before you judge my parenting skills, remember, we were celebrating civil rights for all people. Why wouldn't we order the most celebratory breakfast imaginable.

After a fun day of game playing (go fish and old maid) and rest, Margaret decided that on this special day, "Dr. King", as she likes to call him, would have wanted to eat Chinese food for dinner. Who can argue with that? So she and I walked to the corner, ordered our food from the kind people at "U-Like" (yes, that is really the name), and proceeded to find the perfect dessert for racial equality. Of course, being a true New Yorker, Margaret thought cheese cake would be most appropriate. As we picked up our Chinese grub and headed home, Margaret proceeded to tell me all about what she learned about Dr. King in her pre-school class. She was so excited to get home and celebrate him over a steaming plate of beef and broccoli, that she didn't even mind that our hands were falling off from walking to and fro in humid 15 degree weather.

After our delicious, yet greasy dinner, Margaret wanted to see more pictures of Dr. King, online, so she could create some artwork in memory of this great man. Sadly, after dinner and cheesecake, it was too late to start an art project. (And Daddy had to watch the SC Democratic Debate) But first thing the next day, she made sure her celebration was completed with a few representations of the late, and truly great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Behold the work of the artistic genius, (and socially conscious child) that is, Margaret Herrick.




BTW, the Dr. King with "girly" lips, was Mother Heather's contribution.

Let us all be thankful for his life and his dream of a better future for everyone.

5 comments:

martha corinna said...

Oh my goodness, this is one of the best posts I've ever read. So touching.
Talk about parenting skills. The only civil rights Norah got that day was some vicarious Oprah, who I tuned into in order to get my dose of civil rights stories (did you know that the supreme court did not make it legal for interracial couples to marry until 1967?).
I am always inspired and in awe of the experience your family is having out there. So much culture and adventure (though I have to say, Lehi is rolling in both).
The art is perfect, and the breakfast Margaret ordered is exactly what I would order, only on civil rights day, of course.
What you said on my blog Matt, made my day, thanks.

Nathan said...

Matt & Heather,
I have to agree with Martha, you guys are great parents and I think it is GREAT that you are actually celebrating civil rights day and honoring the ideas of MLK, even though you are not 'minority' and therefore your 'civil rights' are in no need of 'protection', right? wink. wink. Good on you, guys. Civil rights should be everyone's cause and MLK had an amazing way of expressing that and I just think it is great that you are celebrating it. I kind of wish I was there to do it with you!
(also, did you know that the 'I have a dream' speech was delivered on August 28, 1963 (?)? Whose birthday?)
Also, I miss you guys alot. I keep thinking of Cole the night we had Heath and the kids over for dinner before I left singing "Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday..." and him running and rolling around...
gosh I miss you guys...
okay, I'm done now...

Corrine said...

Sounds like a wonderful Day! What a fun mom you are!

Natalie said...

i busted a gut reading this one.

Mrs. Misses said...

Yes, you are an excellent mommy and daddy. And you will need to be both as soon as that babe is here. Congrats and thanks for giving me parenting ideas!