Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I Cannot Believe It

Miss Margaret started kindergarten last week. WHAT? How did I have a baby that turned five? She picked out the outfit she wanted to wear two weeks in advance and called me back into her bedroom many nights to say, "I'm so excited for school!" One night she also admitted, "And I'm a little bit nervous." I told her that's okay and I always felt a little nervous for the first day of school too. I didn't tell her I was A LOT nervous and a little sad to let her go to kindergarten all day. I take solace in knowing if I miss her too much I can just bring her right back home.

The night before we had family home evening about being prepared. We printed out a chart of things she needs to do every morning, we let her ask questions and gave advice. We've also been talking about being good examples and being missionaries in some of our FHE lessons lately so I reminded them of our lesson when we learned the primary song, "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ". Sitting there with my kids safely gathered around me, I realized that this transition is a big deal because it's the first day of putting my preparation as a mother to the test. Have I prepared her? Helped her be confident and secure? Given her enough knowledge about who she is and helped instill the importance of that in her? I guess we'll see.


Matt assured me I was making a bigger deal of it than necessary, and so we *calmly* accompanied her down the stairs, out the door, down the block and across the street. We huddled in the corners of her kindergarten classroom that smelled like recently painted walls and industrial strength cleaner with other nervous parents as her teacher took her to a cubby with her name on it and gave her a nametag. She left her Disney princess backpack there, found a table with paper and crayons and started coloring. She glanced up, scanned the room and found me. She confidently crossed the room to ask me if I was going to leave now. It wasn't a, "I'm ready for you to leave," nor a, "Leave so I can get on with this," she just wanted to make sure she gave me a goodbye hug. I walked into the hall and unwanted tears spilled onto my cheeks while the lump in my throat burned. Matt grasped my hand and smirked a little when he noticed the tears. I had Stella strapped onto me in the Baby Bjorn and my heart almost broke thinking of leaving her in just a few short years. I know now how fast it really goes.

You go girl! Whether it has anything to do with me or not, she sure seemed ready.

18 comments:

Turbo said...

She sure looks cute, all dressed up in her new school clothes, with Mary Janes and all. It sounds like she is poised to do well in school. I'm sure you guys are super proud.

The Lead Singer said...

Oh my gosh!!! That was a really emotional post for me to read. So cute, Heather. You're one of the best mothers in all of NYC and quite possibly the entire planet. I'm so proud of you guys. Mags is so lucky to have you as her parents. Congrats on being kick-ass people and intensely amazing Mother and Father. Miss you guys.

Steve said...

Some of Margaret's readiness is probably just her and her personality. I think as moms we often question ourselves...but I do not doubt that much of her readiness is due to both you and Matt and the things you do as a family. Kindergarten is so fun - I hope she has a great year!
Stephanie

Proctor family said...

heather I know how you feel and they do grow up to fast and it doesn't get any easier. I have watched Miranda these past few weeks getting ready for HIgh school. And wondering if I have done enough to prepare her for what lies a head of her. I see her struggle with friends and trying to belong. I wish she could see who she really is. I wish she could understand that high school does not define who you are. I wish I could take away all of the pain of broken hearts from not getting asked to the dance and everything else that goes along with going to high school, but then she wouldn't grow from those experiences and find out who she really is. anyway I kind of got off on a tangent there. your kids are so cute I am glad I get to see them and here about your family
angie

Woods: said...

Oh my gosh. She looks absolutely to die for! What a great post and an awesome tribute to you and Matt for being such great parents. She is one of the sweetest little girls I've ever met (even if it was for like 2 days!). Without a doubt she and Alie would be the best of friends. Make that sister of mine help you through those sad days of missing Margaret! Go get some ice cream and watch some planet earth or something! :)

merathon said...

sounded like everything i was feeling as i sent kendall off to school last week! remember when they were born just a couple weeks apart? was that really 5 1/2 years ago?

Erin said...

OH wow, what a bitter sweet moment. Caiti felt the same way when she saw Gavin off to kindergarten just a week ago. I feel like I'm reading her blog. You are a superb mom and I am sure Margaret is more than prepared. Love you mucho.

Heather Anna said...

Thanks all for the kind words. We're doing okay, getting into a groove, checking the take home folder every night, packing lunch, etc. She loves it and is making lots of new friends. Little cutie.

Karen Liu said...

What a sweet family! She looks adorable. It's amazing that we have such mixed emotions, sending our oldest children out into the world. You are such a loving mother!

Katie Lila said...

"hooray for Mags!" said Ayva
Talk about a poster child. Good work livin' in it! (the moment that is) Let the tears fall and the smiles show off those big, corrigan, pearly whites. love kt

Nathan said...

...I kinda hate that I am not in NYC right now...

YIPPEE for Margaret-сhee! Margaret, I am so proud of you! I love and miss you and am so glad you are off to school. The outfit you picked out is AMAZING! Tell your mom to have you send me an e-mail or something and tell me all about how it is going in Kindergarten.

Heather, I agree with what Wyatt said--except its not just a distinct possibility that you may be one of the best mothers on the planet, its a fact. Miss you...did you see my blog? Because if you did, ummm you didn't leave a comment.

LOVE YOU GUYS!

Corrigan Clan said...

Heather she really is adorable. I wish I saw her more and the rest of your clan too! I loved having you out here this summer even if it was only a few short weeks. Tell mags I am excited for her.

skt said...

I can't believe it either. Man that went by fast. Mags is adorable in her little school girl outfit. And with you as her mother, I'm positive she's more than ready for school. I thought about the little lady entering kindergarten the day I brought her home from the hospital. I got choked up as well. You never want them to grow up when they're sweet and little. I'm betting the teenage years will be different.

Natalie said...

victor and i bet that on your test of true motherhood, "we bet she passed with flying colors!"

Tamara said...

What a great post. It got me thinking that I don't have too much longer before Lucas is off to school...I am not ready!

vdg family said...

Heather, you are a fantastic mother. I really admire all you do! Sometimes it amazes me how blessed we are to have been given such wonderful beings to be with us. The years fly by and then they are in all day kidnergarten nervously excited about the new separation and perceived bigness which accompanies it. Your family is very blessed to have you. :)
Melanie

Caitilin said...

Heath, I totally feel you happiness and sadness about sending Miss Mags to kindergarten already. Where did the time go?!?! I remember back in Texas when Gavin was a wee 6-month old and Margaret was born. Whoa. And now look - these two are in kindergarten!! Margaret is beautiful; she'll do so well in Kinder and you'll enjoy it too! :) Is she in full-day school? What about Cole - is he in preschool yet?

Fun to see what's happening in your lives there in NYC - miss you guys!

xoxo,
caiti

Anonymous said...

That first day of school is so special! And I can't believe how much she's grown.

Come visit me here when you get a chance: accordingtothemother.wordpress.com

Love,
Aimee